One of the ways I get to try a lot of products without spending a ton of money is by sampling the crap out of everything that looks interesting. I have no qualms about asking for samples in-store. In the US, shops like Sephora, SpaceNK, and Kiehl’s are generally generous with samples. I don’t take it to an extreme, though. I ask for maximum three samples per trip, unless I really hit it off with an associate and he/she wants me to try a bunch of stuff. (Pictured: One day’s haul sometime in 2015.)
One of the ways I get more samples is through Sephora’s website. (I almost never buy in-store at Sephora.) Here’s how I get the most out of them.
- Get a Sephora loyalty card if you don’t already have one. Those points add up, and you get free products for your birthday. Buy from Sephora wherever possible. It’s worth it.
- With every online order of $25 or more, Sephora gives you three free samples. PLUS they have codes for bonus products with every $25+ purchase. BOOKMARK THIS PAGE.
- I split my orders into separate ones that are as close to $25 each as possible, to maximize my samples and bonuses, as you get three free samples and one deluxe sample (with promo code) with every purchase.
- I also buy skincare frequently from the Travel Size section of Sephora’s site. You can get very modestly priced products from high-end lines in smaller volumes, so instead of paying $63 for a giant cleanser you might not like, you can pay $14 and use it for a month to see how it suits you.
- I highly recommend installing the Honey extension for Chrome, which will show you all coupon/promo codes available for every e-commerce site you visit, and even try them all automatically for you if you want.
This is how I end up with a huge stash of samples to try whenever I feel like a change, or when I am on the road. I will never use these all up, but I can’t stop accruing them. If you know me in real life, ask for some samples from me!